RA GRAY PLUMBING MAINTENANCE TIPS
- Even a small dripping faucet can waste thousands of gallons of water and cost you plenty on your water bill. Be sure to check under sinks for moisture or small leaks. And always repair leaky faucets right away to avoid water damage to your fixtures and pipes.
- We recommend that you not use caustic liquid drain openers (Drano, Liquid Plumber) on a drain that is completely clogged. It can severely damage your pipes.
Make sure that you and all members of your household know where the main water shutoff valve is located in your home or street so you can turn off the water if a pipe suddenly bursts.
- If your home has exposed pipes in the garage, crawl space or basement, we recommend wrapping with pipe insulation so they donít burst in cold weather. This insulation will also provide warmth for your pipes, which will allow your water to heat faster saving energy when heating the water for use inside your house.
- Before a hard frost when winter begins; turn-off the water supply to outdoor spigots to keep the pipes empty. Water that is left in the lines can freeze come winter and cause pipes to burst. Garden hoses should also be disconnected from the spigots.
- Do not rinse fats or cooking oils down the drain. Liquid fats solidify in the cold drains pipes and create clogs.
- You can prevent unnecessary clogs by fitting all tubs and shower drains with a strainer that catches hair and soap chips, and clean the strainer regularly.
- Leaking toilets can be wasteful and expensive on your water bill. We recommend you check your toilets for leaks at least once a year. Hereís a simple way to test each toilet. Just add a small amount of red food coloring to the tank, and then check the toilet bowl later. If the toilet bowl water is colored red, water is seeping through from the tank. If it is leaking, you should replace the tank ball.
- You can extend the life of your garbage disposal by using plenty of cold water when the disposal is running. Make sure you don't overload with peelings, onion skins or stringy fibrous material. You should never use a caustic drain opener to clear a clog in the garbage disposal.
Of course plumbing problems can happen even when you take all precautions. RA Gray Plumbing is the professional to call when you need some expert help.
We service these areas:
Prince George's County, Montgomery County, MD & Washington, D.C. including these communities:
Montgomery Co Maryland (MD)
Prince George’s Co MD
U Street Corridor